Florida Gulf Coast University accepted its first class of music majors in the fall of 2006, nine years after the university opened its doors in 1997. The Bower School of Music was established with the support of a gift from Alan and Marilyn Korest in memory of Edwin H. Bower, Marilyn Korestâ€™s father and a well-loved Naples philanthropist.
OVERVIEW & TEACHING PHILOSOPHY
The Smith Walbridge Section Leader Clinic is ideal for colorguard, percussion, and wind section leaders. Â Students learn how to teach and administer marching, music sectionals, and rehearsals. Â Problem solving and creative thinking are integrated into the curriculum. Â Students will develop confidence, and learn how to become a valuable asset to their section, band, and director. Â BRING INSTRUMENTS AND EQUIPMENT.
- Basic conducting
- Using proper warm-up, stretching, and tuning methods
- Teaching articulations, phrasing, and style
- Fundamentals & basic knowledge of drill design
- Squad drills and evaluations with interactive leadership roles
- Running music and marching sectionals
- Daily individual video recorded evaluations & commentary
- Leadership & motivational techniques
- Teaching & cleaning drill
- Methods for teaching marching fundamentals
- Music fundamentals pedagogy
- Interactive teaching experiences
- Communication skills with directors & students
- Students returning in subsequent years follow separate tracks
More about facilities and free time activities can be found on our Facilities and Activities Page.
|Clinic||Dates||Resident||Price Commuter||Non-Participant||Registration Time|
|Section Leader Clinic||June 11-15, 2017||$495||$395||$350||June 12 â€“ NOON-1:30pm|
Resident fee includes: Instruction, housing, and all meals
Commuter fee includes: Instruction, lunch, and dinner
Non participant:Â Chaperones, parents, bus drivers, or anyone not taking classes