The nation’s first Drum Major Camp founded in 1952
The commission of the SWC Drum Major First ClassÂ® certification is the highest honor possible for a High School or College Drum Major. This prestigious certification is registered and is exclusively administered by the Smith Walbridge Drum Major Clinics.
OVERVIEW & PHILOSOPHY
At Smith Walbridge Drum Major Clinic there is a consistent teaching philosophy that is preserved year after year. Based upon a strong base of fundamentals, we guide students to develop their own unique style compatible withÂ their own bands.Â The result is individual creativity, identity and diversity. The 6 day program with a staff of over 28 instructors enables us to not only train great teachers, conductors and leaders, but also drum majors capable of serving as assistant band directors.Â Â The power of positive attitudes, high energy, and enthusiasm is integrated into the Smith Walbridge â€śSystem,â€ť often imitated, but never matched.Â SW was the first drum major camp in the country which is the reason there are so many exciting traditions and a fraternal bond between the graduates.
THREE STYLES OF DRUM MAJOR INSTRUCTION
Incorporates a “chair step,” and the use of some type of baton
Incorporates a “glide step,”Â without batons
Incorporates a “glide step,” and the use of a mace or signal baton
- Special training for college students
- All conducting classes taught by professional university conductors
- Drum majors who return or attend both sessions do not repeat same classes
- Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced levels of conducting
- Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced levels of showmanship
- Fundamentals of drill design
- Squad drills and competition with signals and commands
- Daily individual evaluations of fundamentals
- Daily individual video tape evaluations
- Leadership and motivational techniques
- Individual help with score study
- Teaching and cleaning drill
- Developing individual styles in conducting and showmanship
- Methods for teaching marching fundamentals
- Elective classes including: multi-drum majoring, salutes, showmanship, choreography, various marching styles
and twirling maces/signal batons
Closing award ceremonies are hosted on the last day in O’Brien field for parents, sponsors, directors and friends.
More about facilities and free time activities can be found on our Facilities & Activities Page.
|Drum Major Clinic Week 1||July 13-18, 2014||$520||$400||$270||July 13 â€“ 9am-1:30pm|
|Drum Major Clinic Week 2||July 20-25, 2014||$520||$400||$270||July 20 â€“ 9am-1:30pm|
Resident fee includes: Instruction, housing, and all meals | Commuter fee includes: Instruction, lunch, and dinner
Non participant:Â Chaperones, parents, bus drivers, or anyone not taking classes
- HALF PRICE for Drum Major Week 2 if registered for Week 1
- HALF PRICE on Leadership, Mace & Signal Baton, or Student Conductor Workshops if attending either Drum Major Clinic
- Group discounts are listed on our All Dates & Prices Page